Tuesday, April 12, 2011

a helping hand


From as far back as I can remember, I have been one of those people who just can't bring themselves to ask for help with anything.  One of my mother's favorite sayings was "life is a do-it-yourself job!", and somehow that got planted into my psyche as "thou shalt not ask for anything - just go get/do/be it on your own or do without".  So, yeah.   Luckily for me, it is possible to teach an old dog new tricks - and life has a way of throwing life lessons at us until we finally 'get' the important stuff.

I am not 100% there yet, but once in a great while I do actually realize that I am not (gasp!) omnipotent, and that occasionally I DO need a helping hand.  It's still nearly impossible for me to just *ask* for help - I tend to hang about sighing and grumbling and acting out pathetically, hoping that someone will notice my plight and *offer* help - is that not the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard coming from a 50-year-old??

When I grow up (which I hope will be soon, very soon), I want to be the kind of person who does not feel ashamed, embarrassed or unworthy when coming up against something I need help with.

No comments:

Post a Comment